Derek Jeter hit in the batting cage, fielded grounders at shortstop and played catch at the Yankees' Minor League complex on Friday, his first day of work since being cleared to resume baseball activities. Jeter was examined Thursday in Charlotte, N.C., by Dr. Robert Anderson, who performed the initial surgery last October on Jeter's fractured left ankle. The Yankees said in a statement Thursday that Jeter's ankle is "healing," an encouraging development for Jeter after being held back by another fracture during Spring Training. "They gave me the green light, so that's good," Jeter said Friday. "I'm looking forward to it." Jeter has been reluctant to set a timetable for his eventual return, after not making his initial target of Opening Day. The Yankees have said they expect him to play in Major League games at some point after the All-Star break. That means Jeter's recovery will be slow and methodical, as he demonstrated Friday. The Yankees captain took swings off a tee and on flips from trainers inside a batting cage before playing catch and long toss with Eduardo Nunez. Jeter and Nunez then fielded ground balls, with relatively limited movement, on the infield grass before moving back farther onto the infield dirt. Jeter has been cleared to run on the field, but he did not do so Friday. "Everything's a progression," Jeter said. "As soon as I can do it, I'll do it. As soon as I can come back, I'll come back. In terms of everyday schedule, I don't know what that is. It's more, take it one day at a time." Elsewhere around the Yankees' Minor League facilities ... • Right-hander Michael Pineda (right anterior labral tear) pitched in an intrasquad game across the street at George M. Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' Spring Training home. Pineda hasn't appeared in the Majors since being acquired from the Mariners in a trade for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi. He started his Minor League rehab assignment with Class A Advanced Tampa on Sunday, throwing 4 1/3 innings against Lakeland.