As the afterglow of a three-game sweep over the Yankees fades White Sox fans are forced to revert to reality. A season that began with promise is limping toward Sept. 29 on a 100-loss pace following the team's late-season collapse in 2012. A somnolent offense has had a residual effect on the pitching staff the manager and the Cell's fireworks operator who appears to be as lonely as the Maytag repairman. "I've always said I wanted to know what it's like to be a Cubs fan" said John Shea a 52-year-old Sox fan from Albany Park sitting in the right-field bleachers on a gorgeous summer night Wednesday. "Now I know." How to fix this mess is a question fans will debate for the rest of the season and beyond. Can the Sox afford to blow things up and do a Cubs-style rebuild? Or is there enough talent on the roster to fix things internally and sprinkle in some free agents? "I've never been a fan of blowing it up" Shea said. "I guess we're halfway there already trading (Jake) Peavy. I'd like to see Robin Ventura stay but I don't know if he really wants to. I love (Alex) Rios and I hope Paulie (Konerko) retires and goes out gracefully. It hurts being this bad but that's baseball." The Rangers on Thursday reportedly claimed Rios off waivers. The Sox either can work a trade with the Rangers within 72 hours allow Texas to take on Rios' contact via the waiver claim or pull him back from waivers. Over in Section 125 season ticket holder Stuart Vranek of La Grange Park said the team has the pitching to compete next year but needs an offensive overhaul. "We need to blow it up" he said. "We have to eat some money. Adam Dunn had a great year last year. Konerko was out of his mind. Rios …That was the year (to win). I don't know what happened." The only voices that matter of course belong to Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf executive vice president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn who said there is no reason to rebuild.
White Sox won't tear it all down
Chicago Tribune | Aug 9