The first period was pretty much what we have come to expect from Phoenix on this Northeastern road trip. Oliver Ekman-Larsson took the first of many penalties in the game early in first period with an interference call against Ottawa's Jean-Gabriel Pageau. This misstep by OEL ultimately lead to the first goal, as Bobby Ryan found a wide open Marc Methot who was originally credited with a goal. After the game the goal was awarded to Kyle Turris. The second period started in the Yotes favor as Zack Smith took an early hooking penalty against Ekman-Larsson. After an unsuccessful power play, the Senators' Smith picked up the puck as he was getting out of the box and gave Ottawa a two-goal lead. Mike Smith stayed in the center of the net expecting a pass to a trailing Turris, however that was not to be as Smith's wrister easily made it past him. The Coyotes managed to get their first of the afternoon not long after, as Antoine Vermette took a backhand shot after a pass from Lauri Korpikoski. Phoenix got a bit of revenge on their third power play after Pageau took a holding call against Keith Yandle. Not a minute into that power play, Martin Hanzal passed to Radim Vrbata who skated through a few Senators players to net the game tying goal. Soon after, the Coyotes tied the score on a Vrbata power play goal. Halfway through the second period, things started to get interesting on the ice. Initially the tension appeared to be between Chris Neil and Michael Stone, ultimately resulting in Neil slashing Smith. The final result was Neil, Colin Greening, Smith and Stone all getting penalties and Phoenix going on the power play for two minutes. Ultimately that was just the start of a physical second half of the second period. Clarke MacArthur rode Connor Murphy into the boards, and though it was clearly a boarding call against MacArthur, Murphy ended up in the box as well with a interference call. Methot decided to take advantage of the open ice that 4-on-4 hockey brings and drove toward the Coyotes' net and wristed one past Smith giving Ottawa a 3-2 lead. The Coyotes found themselves down again after working their way back from a 2-0 deficit.