Tigers reliever Tyler Alexander struck out the first nine batters he faced in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader against the Reds, tying former Tiger Doug Fister’s American League record for consecutive strikeouts in a game.
The nine consecutive strikeouts are a Major League record for a reliever.
Alexander replaced starter Rony García after ex-Tiger Nick Castellanos hit his second home run of the afternoon to lead off the third inning. Alexander then …
• Struck out Mike Moustakas on a foul tip
• Struck out Eugenio Suárez on three pitches, all looking
• Struck out Jesse Winker on three pitches, all swinging
• Struck out Nick Senzel swinging
• Struck out Josh VanMeter on three pitches, the last called