If you're hoping to see NHL players competing at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, you may want to start bracing yourself for some bad news. An update from NHL commissioner Gary Bettman at the league's Board of Governors meetings this week seems to indicate that team owners are against the idea of their players participating in the Olympics for a sixth straight time. Though no official decision has been made yet, the league needs to make a determination soon for the purposes of scheduling. Bettman has previously said that they will make a decision in January at the latest. According to Bettman, a major factor will be whether the International Olympic Committee agrees to pay the cost of travel, insurance and accommodations for players and guests. While that has been covered in the past, the IOC has yet to guarantee they will do so in 2018. Bettman said "there's nothing to even talk about" if the expenses aren't covered, as the league has no intention of paying out of pocket to send players to the Games. It is worth noting, however, that the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) has reportedly said that they would be willing to cover those costs, but Bettman and the owners still aren't sold.
NHL owners express 'strong negative sentiment' about players competing in Olympics
Fox Sports | Dec 9