The Dolphins addressed their void at offensive tackle on Sunday by agreeing to terms with veteran Tyson Clabo on a one-year deal. Clabo, 31, has started every game at right tackle for the Atlanta Falcons over the past five seasons and was a Pro Bowl selection in 2010. “He will be a great addition to the offensive line,” general manager Jeff Ireland said. His signing means Jonathan Martin will shift to left tackle to replace Jake Long, who signed with St. Louis. Clabo signed a five-year, $25 million contract in 2011, but the Falcons released him April 4 — which he called “unexpected” — in a move designed to give them additional salary cap space to sign their draft picks. “Miami didn’t come into play until late in the process, after the draft,” he said. “I was happy when the phone rang and Mr. Ireland was on the other side.” Clabo, who auditioned for the Dolphins on Wednesday, graded out well the past two seasons, according to Pro Football Focus. His 2012 performance ranked 14th among 80 tackles and fifth-best among right tackles, behind Andre Smith, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Davis and Sebastian Vollmer. Clabo, 6-6 and 329 pounds, was ranked 23rd in pass protection (he allowed five sacks) and 21st in run blocking last year. In 2011, Pro Football Focus rated him second overall among all tackles.
Tackle Tyson Clabo plugs a major hole on Miami Dolphins’ offensive line
Miami Herald | May 6