Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones had a simple answer last month at the Senior Bowl when asked about Dez Bryant’s status with the team. “He’s under contract,” Jones said. Jones had a different answer Thursday night when he attended the inaugural Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award ceremony at Ford Center. Bryant’s production has not matched his contract the past three seasons, and Jones acknowledged a looming “business decision” for the Cowboys. “No one wants to compete and get after it more than Dez,” Jones said. “At the same time, we all know this is a business where everybody has to be accountable. Certainly everybody knows that. That’s a tough one. Certainly we’re going to be grinding it out and trying to determine what is in the best interest of our business. “Dez understands this is a business. No one thinks more of Dez Bryant than starting at the top, Jerry, and certainly me, his teammates, coach [Jason] Garrett, Will McClay. We all have a tremendous amount of respect for Dez. That’s one of the things that we’re going to have to work through as we move into our future.” Bryant is scheduled to make $12.5 million and count $16.5 million on the salary cap next season. The team could absorb that if Bryant produced as a No. 1 receiver.
Stephen Jones: Dez Bryant situation comes down to "best interest of business"
Fort Worth Star-Telegram | Feb 23