Larry Foote knows all about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which is where teammate Mike Adams found himself early Saturday morning on the South Side. "It's the old saying, nothing good happens after 12 o'clock," Foote said after another Steelers spring practice Tuesday on the South Side. Foote was back near the campus of his alma mater, Michigan, in February 2003, when a melee broke out near a pizza joint around 2:30 a.m. Foote, who had just finished his rookie season with the Steelers, was among those arrested, accused of punching another man. He and others had come to the defense of a woman who was thrown to the ground, and Foote was later exonerated. Foote came out of that incident with a thumb injury, much less serious than the knife wounds Adams had to his stomach and arm when several men tried to steal his truck on Carson Street. "Bad people come out late at night, that's just the rules of the game," Foote said. "Guys have to be aware of that." Married with two children and now 10 years older since his own incident, Foote said he learned that lesson a long time ago. "The only time I go out is to go get a gallon of milk late at night." Adams' teammates had several different reactions to how they should proceed in light of the attack. Proceed as usual? Use extra precautions? Avoid certain areas of the city, like the South Side? On Monday, coach Mike Tomlin indicted that section of the city was "a dangerous place." Of course, one Steeler was the cause of a South Side ruckus in October last year. Defensive lineman Alameda Ta'amu pleaded guilty in April to drunken driving and apologized for his behavior. Although that incident started on Fort Pitt Boulevard, Ta'amu fled from police and ended up crashing into four parked cars on East Carson Street. The Steelers' training facility is a good Shawn Suisham kick from East Carson Street and about 15 blocks from where Adams was attacked around 3 a.m. Saturday. Some Steelers have lived in and around the South Side since the team moved its training facility along the river near the Hot Metal Bridge in 2000. Isaac Redman is not one of them. He agrees with his coach that the South Side is not safe. "It's proven that it's not," Redman said. "If you do choose to go out, you might need to seek security or make sure you're not by yourself. But we definitely have to learn from what happened."