Miguel Sanó, one of the Minnesota Twins' top prospects, is a movie star -- literally. Sanó won't turn 20 for a week, but he is not intimidated by the cameras recording his every move as he hits his way up the Twins' farm system toward the majors. At his current rate, he'll most likely arrive at Target Field sometime in the 2014 season, although Sanó isn't ruling out the possibility that it could happen this summer. Despite being the youngest player in the Florida State League (Advanced Class A), the shortstop-turned-third baseman is hitting .368 and leads the league with nine home runs and 24 RBIs in 24 games with the Fort Myers Miracle. And he's doing it while smiling for the cameras that have followed him everywhere since he was a 15-year-old boy growing up on the playing fields of San Pedro de Macoris on the east side of the Dominican Republic. "This does not affect me at all," Sanó told ESPNdeportes.com before a game in Clearwater this week. "I believe it helps me because when I'm in the majors, I will be surrounded by cameras, right? It helps me get used to it." Sanó's journey through the minors has been filmed for the past two years by Guagua Productions for a documentary titled "The Miguel Sanó Story." The producers' intent is to stick with him until he makes his big league debut with the Twins. "The Miguel Sanó Story" will pick up where "Ballplayer: Pelotero" left off. Focusing on Sanó and another young Dominican player, Jean Carlos, "Ballplayer: Pelotero," which premiered in 2012, examined the controversial and frequently corrupt process by which promising Dominican athletes are scouted, recruited, signed and incorporated into MLB training camps in the Dominican Republic. In 2009, after a long MLB investigation that included bone structure tests and other examinations to determine if he really was 16, as his documents and his tutors claimed, Sanó received a $3.15 million signing bonus from Minnesota. The executive producer of "Ballplayer: Pelotero" was Bobby Valentine, at that time the manager of the Boston Red Sox. The film created some discomfort in Major League Baseball's central offices. When it was released, commissioner Bud Selig called it inaccurate and spoke with the Red Sox about Valentine's role with it. Valentine is not a part of "The Miguel Sano Story." If Sanó was affected by the controversy over "Ballplayer: Pelotero," it's difficult to discern. "I feel happy," said Sanó, who was ranked 11th on Keith Law's top 100 prospects list in February. "Having a movie is something that makes you feel good. The second one will be better than the first one. That will not affect me. I keep a clear mind, focusing on the important things." Being the center of attention certainly hasn't seemed to hurt Sanó's game. Through three-plus seasons in the minors, he is batting .287 with 64 home runs and 212 RBIs. Last year, he hit 28 home runs and drove in 100 runs in 129 games for Beloit in the Midwest League (Middle Class A).
Star turns for Twins' Miguel Sanó
ESPN | May 6