Kenny Vaccaro hoped the New Orleans Saints would offer him a contract extension before he became a free agent this year. But, with two weeks remaining before free agency begins, the Saints aren't planning on re-signing their 2013 first-round pick, according to multiple sources at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. Vaccaro, speaking in a phone interview Wednesday, said he wasn't surprised to hear about the Saints' lack of interest. Had the Saints wanted to lock him up on a long-term deal, they could've pursued an extension at any point last year, but the team balked at the possibility both last offseason and during the 2017 season. "It kind of frustrated me a little at first," Vaccaro said, "but I understand it is what is." Vaccaro, 27, has long expressed a desire to stay with the Saints, but he's now prepared to test the open market when free agency begins on March 14 and should be among the top defensive backs available. Vaccaro also met with General Manager Mickey Loomis after the season ended and didn't get the sense that the Saints were going to make him an offer. "I love the Saints," he said. "Obviously, if it was my choice, you would want to stay with the team you played your whole career with." Vaccaro should have a significant market as a free agent because of his versatile skill set. In his five seasons with the Saints, he's played both safety spots as well as slot cornerback and some snaps as a hybrid linebacker. "I did all I can," he said. "I played my heart out for the team." One thing that should help Vaccaro's market is that he said he's felt completely healthy for the past three weeks. He underwent surgery in December to fix issues with his groin and core muscles after playing through the issues during the 2017 season. Vaccaro said his adductor muscle was completely torn from the bone.
Saints' Kenny Vaccaro healthy, expecting to hit open market
New Orleans Times-Picayune | Mar 1