The Italian was one of the club’s star performers last season, catching the attentions of several sides across Europe, with Chelsea currently leading the chase. Reports at the end of last week suggested the Blues had launched a £12m bid for the 29-year-old, with manager Jose Mourinho looking to sure-up his midfield. But Roma boss Garcia says he hopes the club’s board won’t entertain any offers for De Rossi. ‘He is a great player and surely it’s better to have him with us than to see him leave,’ he said. However, Chelsea could be set to up their pursuit of the Italian international, with Oriol Romeu having confirmed his loan move to Valencia last Friday and the future of John Obi Mikel hanging in the balance. Big-spending Monaco are the latest side to be linked with the Nigerian, while Turkish duo Galatasaray and Trabzonspor have already declared their interest.
Roma boss desperate to keep Daniele De Rossi from Chelsea’s clutches
Metro | Jul 16