Mark Rogers has had plenty of seasons end or fail to begin at all because of injuries. It's hard to blame the right-hander for being a bit agitated when the Brewers decided to shut him down following his Aug. 31 start last season. With his team in the playoff race, Rogers wanted to keep contributing to the cause. It's also hard to disagree with the decision the team made. Its former prized prospect was finally healthy and pitching well at the big league level. The Brewers saw no need to risk it all and push his innings past 134 1/3 after he tossed just 44 the year before. "I wanted to pitch, that's for sure," said Rogers, 27. "I definitely wanted to pitch. I also appreciate them understanding my history and wanting me to be 100 percent prepared for this season. I've taken that very seriously, and I want to make sure I am 100 percent ready to rock and roll this season." Called up on July 29 to replace the traded Zack Greinke in Milwaukee's rotation, Rogers was getting what in all likelihood was his last shot. The fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft, Rogers has long battled injury and suspension, finding his name moving more toward the bust category as each year passed. He tore his labrum in his shoulder in 2006 and didn't throw another pitch until 2009. Scar tissue build-up required another surgery in 2007, and he sat out all of 2008 to rehab. Rogers returned to the field in 2009 and had a good season in Single-A and spent most of 2010 having success in Double-A. In big league camp in 2011, Rogers was in the running for the fill-in rotation spot after Greinke cracked his rib playing basketball during spring training. Instead of a promising year, 2011 quickly turned into disaster and caused many to write him off for good. A shoulder injury ended any shot Rogers had at making the Brewers' rotation and then a wrist injury limited him to just 15 games in the minor leagues, including posting a 13.50 ERA in five games in Triple-A. On Aug. 19, 2011, Rogers announced he was having carpal tunnel surgery on his wrist, but that wasn't the only announcement made that day. Major League Baseball said Rogers had tested positive for a banned stimulant and was suspended for 25 games.