Minnesota center Reggie Lynch announced Thursday that he will drop his appeals in a pair of sexual misconduct rulings that have sidelined him for the past month. He will accept an expulsion from the university. Lynch said during a news conference that he maintains his innocence after a school panel ruled he was "responsible" in a pair of sexual assault cases from two separate alleged incidents in April 2016. He said he decided to drop the appeals because he does not think he will receive a fair hearing through the university, so he'll leave the Gophers, turn pro and attempt to resume his basketball career. Lynch had initially decided to appeal the rulings to the school's Student Sexual Misconduct Subcommittee. He was scheduled to appear at hearings in both cases Thursday and Monday, respectively, before his announcement. "This is not the right arena to try to clear your name in," Ryan Pacyga, Lynch's lawyer, told ESPN. In October, university officials were notified of two separate sexual assault allegations, both stemming from incidents in April 2016, that had been made against Lynch, a former Big Ten defensive player of the year. Lynch was found "responsible" in the two cases by the school's office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, which recommended expulsion. The EOAA reviewed text messages and interviewed multiple witnesses before making its rulings against Lynch in January, according to documents in the cases.
Reggie Lynch drops appeals of sexual misconduct rulings, accepts expulsion
ESPN | Feb 15