Knicks rookie point guard Pablo Prigioni said on Argentine radio today his preference is to remain in the NBA next season and no longer harbors a desire to return to the Spanish League. “If I can choose, I prefer to play in the United States and stay in the NBA,’’ Prigioni said on Argentine radio. Prigioni, 35, denied on radio his wife wants him to return to the Spanish League next season and claims she likes New York, according to the Argentine newspaper, Ole. Prigioni told The Post in January he was mulling whether to return to the Spanish League or stay in the NBA. Prigioni brought over his two young children to New York this season. Prigioni, who entered the Knicks starting lineup, will be a free agent on July 1. The Knicks would have to dip into their $3.1M mid-level exception to match an offer from another team, as Prigioni will be a restricted free agent. It’s unclear if they will definitely do so. The Knicks could include Prigioni in a sign-and-trade and receive back a trade exception. Earlier in the playoffs Prigioni told The Post his wife had a tough adjustment to New York because she’s never been out of Spain and didn’t speak English. The Post reported Prigioni had a tough decision because his wife prefers Spain. Prigioni signed just a one-year deal so he can have better leverage this summer if he chose to remain in the NBA. He signed only for the league minimum, $473,000.
Prigioni says he wants to stay in NBA, but Knicks future unclear
New York Post | May 22