Seventeen years after they first started working together, Andy Pettitte and Joe Torre are headed toward a reunion. According to an industry source, Pettitte has agreed to pitch in the upcoming World Baseball Classic for Team USA, which will be managed by Torre. The two were together with the Yankees as manager and player from 1996-2003 and again in 2007. The official roster announcements won't come until Thursday. "Andy told us it's something he's thinking about doing, but that's all I know," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said yesterday. "He's on the eligible pool list and he just gave us a heads up that Joe Torre had been campaigning for him to join the squad, which I can understand why, because Andy is a hell of a pitcher." Cashman indicated he has no concerns about the 40-year-old left-hander participating in the WBC. The GM said he would expect Pettitte to be treated like any other player. "If Joe Torre signed up to be the manager and if Andy Pettitte signs up to play, they are going all-in to win," Cashman said. "Joe's not managing that team for a hobby, he's managing it to win, and he's certainly not going to sign onto something unless he feels he can win, so they're all-in." Pettitte is not the only Yankee eyeing the WBC. Mark Teixiera is expected to represent Team USA and Robinson Cano likely will join the Dominican Republic's roster. Francisco Cervelli is a candidate for Team Italy and Ivan Nova a possibility for the Dominican Republic.
Pettitte, Torre eye WBC team
New York Post | Jan 15