Baltimore Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said the team offered slugger Chris Davis a long-term deal this offseason -- a claim that seemed to surprise baseball's reigning home run king. Duquette, speaking Saturday at the team's annual FanFest, said that contract talks with Davis "really hasn't progressed" this winter. Davis, who led the majors with 53 homers and 138 RBIs last season, responded to Duquette's comments when approached by reporters at the FanFest. "Really?" Davis said. "Did he say anything else? Dang it. Keep me up to speed on that. "I know they talked at the end of last year, but obviously nothing came to a head. It's something we're going to have to wait and see. It's not my job to worry about that." Davis and the Orioles avoided arbitration last month, agreeing to a one-year contract worth $10.35 million. The All-Star first baseman made $3.3 million last year and is scheduled to be a free agent after the 2015 season. The 27-year-old Davis, who is represented by agent Scott Boras, reiterated that he would prefer a long-term deal to stay in Baltimore. "I've said it before and I'll say it every day -- I love being in Baltimore," he told reporters. "This has been a place that's really felt like a second home to me. Just thinking about Opening Day last year, it's hard not to fall in love with this city and the fan base. The fans really understand the game of baseball, so I'd love to stay here.
O's offered Chris Davis deal
ESPN | Feb 2