Well, the joke’s on the Rays. The Blue Jays may have played like dopes in the season opener on the last day of March but April 1, no fools were found, they were money. In Monday’s depressing 9-2 pounding the Jays couldn’t pitch, hit in the clutch and they threw the ball around in a clownish sequence that allowed Wil Myers a Little League home run on a ball that travelled 60 feet. In Game 2, however, they reversed ship and were clicking on all cylinders. The lone blemish was a ninth inning challenge by manager John Gibbons following a great grab and throw from the knees by Rays third baseman Even Longoria to nail Melky Cabrera. He was out all the way and the call was upheld. Along with the 4-2 victory the Jays unveiled super-sized shortstop Jonathan Diaz — all of a stretched out 5-foot-9 measuring tape — and the replacement for injured Jose Reyes chipped in with an RBI, line drive single in the fourth marking the first hit of his big league career. Just to put a little more shine on the inning, Diaz also recorded his first big league stolen base. “It’s pretty amazing, especially with the team that drafted me and spent so many years with,” Diaz said of his single. “It was definitely a good feeling and the fact we got the W is even better.” Diaz, manning the position for Reyes because of his excellent defence, also caught his spikes twice and narrowly avoided misplays. “We call that a sniper, a turf monster, I don’t know. It was pretty embarrassing,” he said with a grin. “It could be a number of things (the turf) but it was probably just me. I felt pretty good until I almost tripped twice.” On the mound for the Jays was Drew Hutchison and the right-hander turned in a solid performance, blanking the Rays over 51/3 innings and holding them to three hits. Thanks to Tommy John surgery in 2012, it was Hutchison’s first start since June 15 of 2012 and first victory since beating Boston on June 3 of the same year. Hutchison pitched his way out of a mini jam in the second of his own creation when with one out he walked the next two batters. He bounced back with an inning-ending ground ball double play.