Joe Thomas made an appearance at the podium on Thursday afternoon and essentially delivered a state-of-the-Browns address. Thomas, the All-Pro left tackle who is out for the season with a torn triceps, has remained visible with the team following the injury against the Titans on Oct. 22. "This team right now is set up for a long run of success starting next year," Thomas said. His optimism comes in a week in which the Browns are staring at the possibility of 0-16, in 2017, which would be 1-31 in the last two seasons. It has resulted in the firing of Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown and hiring of General Manager John Dorsey. Owner Jimmy Haslam has already said that head coach Hue Jackson will be back in 2018. Thursday, Thomas struck a chord between endorsing the ideas behind the plan and also supporting a head coach who has come under fire during most of its execution. "I think Hue really has not been given the opportunity yet to prove what kind of coach he is," Thomas said. "From a wins and losses standpoint, obviously, the plan for a few years here was to try to attain the highest draft picks possible, which is what we have successfully done. Unfortunately, as that is going on, the coaches have a hard time winning any games because of the depth that they are given to play with." The plan Thomas is referring to, of course, was Brown's aggressive strategy to acquire as many picks as possible, most notably trading out of the No. 2 pick in 2016 and and dealing away the No. 12 pick in 2017. Thomas said he started to notice the plan taking shape when a wave of veterans, including center Alex Mack and right tackle Mitchell Schwartz, were allowed to leave in free agency following the 2015 season. Since then, he's seen other longtime members of the team sent packing as well.
No decision yet for Browns tackle Joe Thomas on playing future
Cleveland Plain Dealer | Dec 29