Chiefs Hall of Famer Neil Smith headlines a group of eight former Chiefs who have recently joined the workers compensation lawsuit that was filed against the team in early December. On Dec. 3 ― just three months after the NFL agreed to settle what became known as “the Concussion Case” for $765 million ― Chris Martin and four other former Chiefs filed a lawsuit against the organization in an attempt to learn what the organization knew about concussions, and when it was known. Since then, 17 other former Chiefs have joined in the suit. After a group of nine jumped in a week ago, Smith is now joined in an amended petition filed by Stephone Paige, Jayice Pearson, Trent Bryant, Charles Mincy, Darrel Colbert, Paul Palmer and Douglas Terry. The 22 former players are seeking undisclosed financial damages in a petition says that each player suffered “multiple concussive and subconcussive blows to the head which caused or contributed to cause a constellation of neurologic/brain harms, including post-concussion syndrome and traumatic brain injuries, such as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.” The petition also says that the Chiefs' “wrongful conduct” directly caused or contributed to this, and the petition also cites the team’s AstroTurf surface as an additional reason for their injuries.
Neil Smith joins other former players in lawsuit against Chiefs
Kansas City Star | Dec 31