University of Minnesota men's basketball star Reggie Lynch plans to appeal his suspension and ban from campus stemming from a school investigation that found him responsible for sexual misconduct, a source close to the player said Friday. He will not play for the Gophers while this process plays out, however, athletic director Mark Coyle said Friday. Lynch, 23, and his accuser were informed late Thursday that he would be suspended until at least August 2020 for an incident in his dorm room at Roy Wilkins Hall on April 28, 2016. The suspension was to begin Tuesday unless Lynch or his accuser appealed, according to Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) office records obtained by the Star Tribune. The source close to Lynch said last year's Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year will seek to remain on the basketball team. He is in his final year of college eligibility. Lynch is still a member of the team, Coyle said Friday, but "he is suspended from athletic competition."
Minnesota Center Reggie Lynch Suspended Until 2020 For Sexual Misconduct
Minneapolis Star Tribune | Jan 5