Gerardo Martino remains optimistic that Manchester United target Cesc Fabregas will stay at Barcelona but concedes that "the player also has to decide". Fabregas has been the subject of two failed bids from United so far this summer and reports have claimed that the Premier League champions are considering lodging a third offer of £35million. Barcelona have previously insisted that Fabregas is not for sale and that all bids for the former Arsenal captain would be rejected. New Barcelona coach Martino has discussed the issue with Fabregas and confirmed the Spain international is a key part of his plans for the coming season. "I have spoken with Cesc and he told me what he thought" Martino told a press conference after Barcelona thrashed Santos 8-0 to win the Joan Gamper trophy on Friday night. "The idea of not counting on him doesn't enter my mind but the player also has to decide. I dare to say that he will stay." The 26-year-old's team-mate Javier Mascherano told Sky Sports News earlier this week that he believes Fabregas is happy at the Nou Camp. "I didn't talk to him but I think he is happy" said Mascherano. "It is difficult when you have to speak about the personal situation of other players because sometimes you don't know what they think. "I see him here training and he is happy. He grew up in Barcelona and feels the call of the shirt. "It is difficult when you grow up here to leave because Barcelona is a big team a big city really nice to live in and all his family is here.
Martino confident Fabregas will stay at Barcelona
Fox Sports | Aug 3