Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn’t mention Dwight Howard by name but it’s quite clear that Dallas is ready to make its pitch to the Lakers center. “We”re going out to L.A.,” Cuban told the Dallas Morning News today after an appearance at a charity event in Frisco. “We’ve got a meeting date with a couple of different players. “We’ve made it clear to everybody that we’re exploring different options. It’s just not one approach. Last year it was one-year deals because we wanted to get to this year, not just because of the big names but there were other names that we really liked.” The Mavericks, considered along with the Rockets and Hawks as the main suitors to sign Howard away from Los Angeles, made some moves in Thursday’s draft to get started clearing salary cap space so they could offer Howard a maximum contract. “We saved some money,” Cuban told The Morning News. “We got enough to go to 7-Eleven.” Howard is planning to host teams in Los Angeles as early as Sunday night when free agency begins.
Mark Cuban: We’re going to LA … we’ve got a meeting date
Houston Chronicle | Jun 28