Malcom Floyd has discussed his neck several times since September. No conversation has been like the one Monday. The Chargers wide receiver stopped short of declaring a decision outright — "Coach will keep you updated," he said with a coy smile — but it seems, following the latest medical checkup, one has been made. Floyd is expected to play in 2014, team and league sources said, after a Sept. 15 neck injury threatened his career. A major hurdle in his slow, steady recovery was whether the veteran, now going on his 11th year, would be at greater risk of a spinal injury if he continued playing. The uncertainty was something that weighed on Floyd, who has wanted all along to continue his career but also needed to consider life after football with his wife and three young children. Last week, he met with Dr. Robert Watkins. "The doc said … I'm at risk just like anybody else," Floyd said Monday. "There's not really a worry. … I'm feeling good. I think I feel like my old self." Floyd injured his neck when attempting to catch a third-quarter pass in Philadelphia. The 32-year-old was sandwiched between two Eagles defenders on a collision over the open field. No penalty was called, but linebacker DeMeco Ryans was fined $21,000 for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area with his shoulder. As players from both teams knelt in prayer, Floyd's neck was stabilized. He was carted off the field and taken by ambulance to a local hospital. He traveled back to San Diego that same day but was placed on injured reserve weeks later. From home, in his living room, he watched games with his family. He could call out plays before the snap. Regularly, he wore a neck brace to curtail the pain and stiffness.
Malcom Floyd set to play in 2014
San Diego Union-Tribune | May 20