Paul Konerko will return for his 16th season with the Chicago White Sox, Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, confirmed to the Tribune on Wednesday morning. An official announcement from the Sox is expected to be held later Wednesday. The one-year deal is reportedly worth $2.5 million. Konerko, a 37-year-old first baseman/designated hitter, was deciding whether to return to the Sox for another year, retire or play for another team. He said in September that if he returned it would likely be his last season. His return would raise questions about how the Sox would juggle a roster that also includes first baseman/designated hitter Adam Dunn and first baseman Jose Abreu. Dunn is signed for $15 million next season. Abreu signed a six-year, $68 million deal with the Sox in October. Sox general manager Rick Hahn said last month that he believes Konerko would only return if he believes he can contribute. "I don’t think Paulie wants to play just to be on the bench or a farewell tour. That’s not him," Hahn said.
Konerko to return to White Sox on 1-year deal
Chicago Tribune | Dec 4