The rest of Jason Pierre-Paul’s season appears to be up in the air after the Giants declared him out for Sunday night’s visit to the Redskins. Pierre-Paul (shoulder) was one of the four players the Giants said Friday would not make the trip to Washington, joining running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) and cornerbacks Corey Webster (ankle) and Trumaine McBride (groin). The rest of Pierre-Paul’s season could be in jeopardy if the Giants feel that shutting him down in a 4-7 year would be the best way to ensure he is healthy for the start of next season. Pierre-Paul has struggled with shoulder and back injuries each of the last two seasons and was limited to just one tackle and no sacks in last week’s loss to the Cowboys — a game in which he had promised there would be “a lot of blood spilled out there.” Resting Pierre-Paul also means the Giants will be able to get a long look at young defensive tackles Markus Kuhn and Damontre Moore, a rookie third-round pick. Veteran defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins also likely will move to end on occasion in Pierre-Paul’s absence as the Giants try to contend with the Redskins’ read option offense. “This is a difficult offense for any defensive end,” defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said. “It is a read-option offense, it is a play-action offense. They’ll do a number of things to make the defensive ends think, so it is quite difficult.” Meanwhile, the absences of Webster and McBride will leave the Giants extremely shorthanded in the secondary. Fewell said cornerbacks Jayron Hosley and Charles James would play a more prominent role, and it appears Hosley — who has missed five games this year due to a hamstring injury — might even start ahead of Terrell Thomas.
JPP ruled out by Giants; also Jacobs, Webster, McBride
New York Post | Nov 30