There already may have been more words expended detailing and hyperventilating about the Victor Cruz contract situation than actual dollars Cruz wants to squeeze out of the Giants. Cruz has been mum on the subject, but Giants co-owner John Mara remains outwardly optimistic that a long-term deal will get done. Mara said last month he is confident a new multi-year contract is coming and asked for patience. Yesterday, he reiterated that sentiment. “I’m pretty confident that we’ll end up reaching a deal,’’ Mara said on the NFL Network’s NFL AM. “This is not that atypical a situation. Player contracts, particularly with star players like Victor, can tend to drag on from time to time. I think we’ll get it done.’’ Mara previously revealed the Giants made an offer that would make Cruz “a very wealthy young man,’’ an offer believed to average more than $7 million per year. Cruz, with more production the past two years than many of the NFL’s top-paid receivers, initially was seeking in the neighborhood of $10 million per year. “This is the right place for him to play,’’ Mara said. “He’s a star in this area, he’s an important part of our team, and I think we’ll eventually get a deal done, but it’s just a process that you have to go through. ... There’s communication, and it’s slow but steady, and I think at some point we’ll reach a deal.” Coach Tom Coughlin is anxious to get Cruz together with his teammates at the offseason conditioning program ongoing at the Timex Performance Center. The program is voluntary, and thus far Cruz has not missed anything required of him, with the May 10-13 mandatory veteran mini-camp the first crossroads. Cruz has yet to sign his one-year tender of $2.879 million as he hopes for a long-term commitment.
John Mara confident Victor Cruz deal will come
New York Post | May 8