J.D. Martinez acknowledged Tuesday that he “didn’t stay ready” last year when the status of the Major League season was uncertain and “wasn’t really prepared” when games began.
The Red Sox star took accountability for the way he struggled through the abbreviated 60-game schedule.
“I think this year I said to myself, ‘They’re not getting me again. They’re not catching me off guard,'” Martinez told reporters. “So I stayed ready the whole time.”
Martinez said not being able to look at his at-bats during games, a tactic he relies on heavily, also hurt him last year.