Sandy Alderson said before the offseason began that the Mets -- coming off a 92-loss season where the team was ravaged by injuries -- were aiming to return to immediate contention in 2018. Since then, their only player move of note was signing RH reliever Anthony Swarzak to a two-year deal worth $14 million. Prior to signing Swarzak, Alderson tempered expectations, suggesting the team would not add a third baseman (relying on Asdrubal Cabrera instead), would not add a first baseman/outfielder who would block Dominic Smith, and that acquiring a starting pitcher was fourth on his list of three needs. After signing Swarzak, he said the team was not focused on adding additional bullpen help. The Mets have been expected to add a second baseman and were in talks to acquire Jason Kipnis from the Indians, but those talks have since stalled, reports Marc Carig of Newsday, who noted that he can foresee the Mets' second base acquisition being Jose Reyes. Every team has question marks, but the Mets have more than most -- whether those questions revolve around injury, ineffectiveness, or both.
If Mets aren't going all-in for 2018, they should trade Jacob deGrom
SNY TV | Dec 18