Jonathan Toews cruised into the offensive zone and fired a wrist shot from the left dot that had Jets goaltender Al Montoya looking behind him before realizing he had made the save. Toews stood by the net with his head down after being denied an exclamation mark to the Blackhawks captain's return to his hometown. The sequence was about the only thing that didn't go the Hawks' way during a second-period offensive explosion Saturday in a 5-1 shellacking of the Jets before a shell-shocked crowd of 15,004 at MTS Centre. "It was a good scoring chance," Toews said after playing his first professional game in the area where he grew up watching the original Jets. "I just couldn't get the puck to stop spinning on me so I just kind of flung it right at him. It was a good stop." The Hawks didn't want to take anything else back of their third consecutive victory that ran their record to 9-2-3 and featured their third game in a row — and fourth in their last five — with at least five goals. Brandon Bollig and Nick Leddy each had a goal and an assist while Niklas Hjalmarsson, Patrick Sharp and Ben Smith also scored as the Hawks have hit their stride after a bit of an uneven start to the season. Marcus Kruger added two assists as Corey Crawford earned the victory in goal with 26 saves. Tobias Enstrom scored for the Jets but it wasn't nearly enough as starting netminder Ondrej Pavelec was yanked for Montoya after the Hawks' three-goal second-period onslaught. The Jets actually led when Enstrom scored early but Crawford was stellar to keep it close. After Hjalmarsson's one-timer off a Kruger faceoff victory tied it after one period, the Hawks took over. In the opening minute of the second, Bollig carried the puck from the neutral zone to the left circle and rifled a shot past Pavelec. Sharp made it 3-1 just 1:47 later when the veteran made a pretty move on a breakaway off a pass from Marian Hossa and Leddy effectively put the game away with a shot from the point that skipped past a screened Pavelec.