Gregory Campbell is not likely to play again in this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs but he has already taken his place beside Bobby Baun as a playoff legend. The Boston Bruins centre, a fourth-line foot soldier of modest talent but indomitable will, suffered a broken right leg after blocking a shot – general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed the diagnosis on Thursday – but stayed on the ice for almost a minute to finish his penalty-killing shift. The shift came midway through the second period Wednesday night when the Bruins took a too-many-men penalty two minutes after the Pittsburgh Penguins scored to tie the game 1-1. Campbell stayed on the ice on one leg long enough to help hold off a furious Penguins rally in the Bruins zone and limped to the bench when the Bruins finally cleared the puck. After Boston finally outlasted Pittsburgh in the second overtime period of the epic 2-1 win on a goal by Patrice Bergeron, Campbell’s teammates pointed to his selfless act as an major inspiration on a night when the Penguins finally discovered their powerful offensive game and were moving relentlessly against the Bruins. The win gave the Bruins a stunning 3-0 lead over the favoured Penguins in the NHL’s Eastern Conference final. They can complete a sweep in Game 4 of the best-of-seven series Friday night at the TD Garden. He may not have scored the game-winning goal in overtime on a broken leg, as Baun did for the Toronto Maple Leafs in the sixth game of the 1964 Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings, but Campbell’s work was just as appreciated by his teammates. “Yeah, it was a huge play by him,” Bergeron said about Campbell blocking the shot from Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin. “Again, we’re talking about details, we’re talking about little things that go a long way and that block was super. “That’s the way he is. He sacrifices the body always for the team, for the better of the team. Obviously we tried to rally behind that and do it for him because he’s a big part of our team on and off the ice.” Campbell, 29, was covering Malkin on the Penguins power play near the point. Malkin, who was a force in this game after coasting in the first two of the series, stepped into a slap shot that tore into Campbell’s right leg. Campbell staggered and lost one of his gloves but did not head for the bench because the play continued. It continued, in fact, for 57 seconds with the Penguins buzzing around Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask.