The Pro Football Hall of Fame will enshrine its eight newest members on Aug. 3 in Canton, Ohio. But Eric Dickerson, who was inducted 20 years ago, said this week that he and others may boycott the induction festivities until the NFL meets the demands Dickerson and a group of Hall of Famers spelled out in a letter last year to league commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, and Pro Football Hall of Fame president David Baker.
Namely: health insurance, an annual salary for Hall of Famers and a share of NFL revenues.
"A lot of guys have talked about it, but you know we [may] try to start doing something about it," Dickerson said Friday during an appearance on WFNZ in Charlotte, via Pro Football Talk. "One of the things we're doing I mean is we're possibly a lot of us not going to the Hall of Fame this year. Because I think it starts was guys like myself, guys with names. You know, the Joe Montanas, the Marcus Allens, the Richard Dents, the Lawrence Taylors.
"If you've got a guy who played [and] his name is John Thompson, you know, who is he? But you've got the guys with the names, and you have to have awareness. And I think that's what it comes down to. No one is aware of how badly the players are treated and done. And I think when people think football, they think automatically, 'He's a rich guy. He's rich.' And guys aren't rich. Some of the guys are making real money, but in our era, the base salary was $40,000."
Dickerson told TMZ last September what he thought every player deserved.