Sporting jerseys from the 1991-92 national championship season, Duke survived a scare Saturday and ended its historic conference matchup against Maryland with a 69-67 win. Normally known for their long-range scoring, the Blue Devils did not shoot particularly well from the field, but tough team defense and great offensive production from freshman Jabari Parker proved just enough. Parker led all scorers with 23 points, including an emphatic one-handed dunk with 1:05 remaining to give Duke a 68-67 advantage. “I’m just trying to be there for my team,” Parker said. “It doesn’t really matter how many points I score. If it’s got to be 20, then let it be. I’m just making the defense uncomfortable, just trying to make plays for the team.” Despite their shooting woes, head coach Mike Krzyzewski's squad seemed in control for much of the first half, extending their lead to as many as 10 points through stout defensive execution. But the Terrapins refused to go quietly—sophomore Jake Layman's midrange jumper cut the margin to one with 2:24 remaining in the first half. Layman's shooting was a huge positive for Maryland, he finished with a team-high 18 points. Charles Mitchell seemed to be the other focal point of Maryland’s first half offense—the sophomore finished with 12 points and six rebounds. Despite the performances of Layman and Mitchell, solid free-throw shooting and a strong drive by Amile Jefferson helped Duke absorb Maryland’s push. The Blue Devils hit the locker room with a six-point lead. Unfortunately for Duke, the team’s shooting seemed to get even worse in the second half. Krzyzewski suggested that offensive frustration led to a loss of defensive focus, allowing a hungry Maryland squad back in the game. “You don’t see [the ball] going in, and it can have an impact on you,” Krzyzewski said. “In that split second Wells took advantage where we didn’t play good defense.” After a slow first half, Maryland combo-guard Dez Wells reveled in the Blue Devils’ defensive lull and began attacking the rim with renewed vigor. With just under nine minutes remaining in the contest, the Terrapins took a 54-52 lead on Wells' strong drive to the hoop—their first lead of the game. "They were stopping the break high, stopping it in the back court, and we turned it over a couple times," Wells said. "I was like ‘Guys, come one, if they are going to do that, let’s make them pay.’ So we made them pay, we started really attacking after that."