Victor Cruz emerged contrite and reflective yesterday after the Giants’ Pro Bowl wideout was part of a dustup on Twitter over the weekend in the aftermath of the George Zimmerman trial. Cruz repeatedly apologized after tweeting Saturday what some took to be a call to violence against Zimmerman after the neighborhood watchman was acquitted in the Florida shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin. “Thoroughly confused. Zimmerman doesn’t last a year before the hood catches up to him,” Cruz wrote on Twitter late Saturday night before deleting the tweet soon afterward. Cruz said yesterday he regretted the tweet almost immediately. “Once I put it out [there], I read it, and I was like, ‘You know, it was the wrong thing to do,’ ” Cruz told WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton. “I see kids that follow me. I’m a role model to a lot of these kids, and they follow me and look up to me, and I felt like it wasn’t the right thing to post.” Cruz said the negative reaction was immediate and fierce, and included some Twitter users calling him the n-word, a response he called “pretty shocking.” “Once [the reaction] started flooding in, I was like, ‘Man ... there’s going to be kids, it’s going to be made news. I got to take it down,’ ” Cruz said. “After a while, I was like, ‘Man, I got to apologize for this.’ ’’ Fresh off a five-year, $43 million extension from the Giants he signed last week, Cruz said he now realizes he is expected to behave to a higher standard now. “When you’re in the position like I am and have some success and you become a public figure, not just in New York City but across the world, you have an entitlement to promote positivity [because] there’s going to be a lot of eyes that look up to you,” he said. “I’m the last guy that wants to promote violence on anyone in any way, shape or form.” Cruz said he didn’t receive any blowback from the Giants over the incident. “They were pleased with the way we handled it,” he said. Cruz also offered some more background about his new deal, telling WFAN he ordered agent Tom Condon to stop the haggling over minor details that were dragging out the contract’s completion.
Cruz not about to re-tweet mistake
New York Post | Jul 16