It took more than 50 minutes, but the Washington Capitals finally flipped on the power to their game Sunday afternoon, just as the Philadelphia Flyers had appeared to put the contest out of reach. Mike Green, Dmitry Orlov and Alex Ovechkin all scored in the final 8 minutes 40 seconds of regulation to tie the game and push Washington toward a 5-4 shootout victory over the Flyers at Verizon Center. It marked the second time in a week that the Capitals have rallied to erase a three-goal deficit and gone on to win in a shootout. “I think we have luck on our side today, especially end of the game. We’ll take it,” said Ovechkin, whose league-leading 27th goal of the season tied the game in dramatic fashion with 47.9 seconds left in the third. Nicklas Backstrom and Eric Fehr both scored in the shootout, which has become a familiar course for the Capitals. A third of Washington’s games have been decided in the tiebreak and the team boasts the best shootout record in the league at 8-3. But to even reach the point where they could secure a pair of points, the Capitals first needed to take control after ceding it to Philadelphia. The Flyers took a 4-1 lead less than four minutes into the third period when Sean Couturier and Jakub Voracek scored 74 seconds apart. Gradually the Capitals started to show signs of life, and when Green flung an unassuming wrister on net from high in the offensive zone, they got the encouragement they needed to begin another comeback. Green’s shot found its way through traffic in front and beat Flyers netminder Steve Mason (29 saves) to cut the deficit to 4-2 with 11:20 gone in the third. “I think that the guys showed some character tonight,” said Green, who personally bounced back after turning the puck over on the play that led to Philadelphia’s third goal. “Obviously, we didn’t want to be in the position we were, but it’s important that we never give up and it’s a prime example tonight. We get two points. It was an unusual game, but we’ll take them.”