Free-agent forward Jason Arnott will not be returning to the Blues after all. Arnott, 38, who has been skating with the team for a week, was informed by Blues general manager Doug Armstrong that the club is moving on without him. The Blues brought Arnott into the mix as a potential depth player because of the rash of injuries at forward, but Armstrong says that recent reports on Andy McDonald (knee) and Alex Steen (shoulder) are positive and even Vladimir Tarasenko has resumed skating again. "When we brought Jason in here, we wanted to see where he was," Armstrong said. "To his credit, he looks like he's in great shape. He had a good practice week here. But with the information that we've gained, Andy and Alex look like they're going to return sooner than we maybe first expected. "With that information and the understanding that we're now carrying three goaltenders and not two, I saw a potential issue with the 23-man roster. And once I added all those things to the equation, I let Jason know." Arnott was not available for comment. The 17-year NHL veteran, who had knee surgery last offseason, may be facing retirement. He failed a physical with the New York Rangers earlier this year and now a chance to join the Blues has passed by. Arnott joined the Blues last Sunday in Dallas and has been skating with the team ever since. At the time, McDonald was facing a "week to week" rehabilitation time and Steen was listed out indefinitely.
Blues choose not to sign Arnott
St. Louis Post-Dispatch | Mar 11