David Backes nearly ended a “man on a mission” type of night when he teed up a shot from the slot as overtime expired Tuesday night. With the game potentially on his stick, Backes sent the puck somewhere toward Florissant. “I don’t know what happened there,” Backes said. “I think by that time I had enough adrenaline for everyone in the room to run on … you saw how hard I could send it off the glass.” But on a night when the Blues captain led by example, taking time to rest only in the penalty box, Backes helped the club break through the glass ceiling Tuesday. The offensive woes continued, but after a third-period tying goal by defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, the Blues edged Vancouver 2-1 in a shootout for Ken Hitchcock’s 600th career victory. The team earned its 50th point of the season but remained in seventh place in the Western Conference standings. The playoff implications only intensify the remainder of this week, as Phoenix and Dallas pay visits to Scottrade Center on Thursday and Friday, respectively. In a meeting of potential first-round playoff opponents, the Blues stood their ground against No. 3 Vancouver. Despite a late second-period goal by the Canucks, the Blues stuck with the program in the third period, and with a resulting win, the bumps and bruises were minimized in the postgame locker room scene. “They’re banged up and they feel sore, but I think they feel like the effort and the reward in the end was worth it,” Hitchcock said. Backes didn’t figure in the scoring, but playing with a ferocious attitude all night long, his stat line included three shots and six hits, and he was victorious on 15 of 21 faceoffs. “It’s a satisfying feeling to have to put so much into a hard battle and to come out with what we needed out of it,” Backes said. It was nearly a case of “What goes around comes around” Tuesday. After the Blues pitched three consecutive shutouts, they were on the verge of being blanked for the second straight game. The last goal had come off the stick of defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk 1 minute, 26 seconds into the Blues’ 4-1 loss to Columbus on Friday. They went the rest of the match without a marker, then put up a goose egg in a 2-0 loss to Chicago on Sunday. On Tuesday, finally, Blues defenseman Jay Bouwmeester ended the team’s scoring drought at 169:29. His first goal with his new club tied the score 1-1 with 9:10 left in regulation. David Perron flipped a puck up ice and it bounced over the stick of Vancouver’s Cam Barker. It created a 2-on-1 with Bouwmeester and Andy McDonald and, after waiting patiently, the new Blue found a way to beat Schneider. “It was a pretty good angle to shoot,” Bouwmeester said. “Take those when you get them.”