Andray Blatche will be officially re-signed Tuesday as the Nets' top free agent acquisition, and it will occur with an air of vindication regarding his involvement in a sexual assault investigation. Blatche and his friends will not face any charges regarding the January incident, according to a Philadelphia police spokesperson, who told the Daily News their Special Victim's Unit conducted a "thorough investigation" that determined nobody should be prosecuted. The investigation, which centered on the alleged rape of a woman by at least one other man in Blatche's hotel room, was closed about two months ago, according to the Philly police. Blatche, 26, who re-signed with the Nets for the vet's minimum despite the certainty of earning more elsewhere, had the unwavering support of the organization throughout the incident. Apparently that meant a lot. Blatche told the Daily News in January, "It's good to have loyalty." "My thing is if you going to preach about being a family, then be a family," Blatche said. "And so far, this organization has been like a family. They had my back and everything when my whole situation happened. They had my back. They supported me. And that means a lot." Along with Blatche, the Nets, on Wednesday, will officially sign Bojan Bogdanovic and Shaun Livingston. The trade for Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry can't be announced until July 12. Blatche's signing is critical, and he's a bargain at $2.8 million for two years (second year is a player option). The loyalty paid off. After getting amnestied by the Wizards one year ago, Blatche was passed over by every team in free agency, partly because of his reputation for spotty behavior. He was arrested twice while with Washington. He also fell out of shape and was booed by the home fans.
Blatche cleared in sexual assault case, finalizes two-year deal with Nets
New York Daily News | Jul 10