As far as bloodlust-fueled vengeance games between two of hockey's most heated, hated rivals go, Friday night's Blackhawks-Canucks tilt was a major letdown. As far as re-energizing bounce-back games go for the Hawks, it was worse. In a matchup that had been hotly anticipated for more than 10 months, since Hawks defenseman Duncan Keith knocked Canucks star Daniel Sedin out for nearly a month with a concussive elbow to the head, the Hawks fell 3-2 in a shootout at Rogers Arena, their second straight shootout defeat after a 6-0 start. Compounding matters for the Hawks was an apparent right leg injury suffered by second-line center Dave Bolland, who crumpled to the ice early in the third period and slammed his stick on the boards — breaking it in two — before lurching onto the bench and being helped into the dressing room. Bolland had been doing a solid job of filling that long-troublesome second-line center spot, and if he were to miss any time, it would be a serious blow to the Hawks' depth up the middle. Third-liner Andrew Shaw took his spot between Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp for the rest of the game. Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said he had "no complaints" about a possible slash on Bolland's leg after seeing the replays, and that he'd know more about the injury on Saturday. "It's part of the game to play without some of your best players, some of your key players, and Bolly is one of those guys," captain Jonathan Toews said. "Whatever happens happens. We want everyone to stay healthy, but when they're not, we've got to find ways to have other guys step up and fill the void and assume those roles. We got guys in this locker room that can do that." Indeed, Shaw actually contributed right away in that role, threading a cross-goalmouth feed to Kane, who flipped it past Roberto Luongo to tie the game at 1-1 midway through the third period, as the intensity finally picked up after a sleepy first two periods. The Hawks dominated overtime — their third straight overtime and fourth in five games — but couldn't get a shot off during a power play over the final 71 seconds, sending the game to the shootout. After Corey Crawford and Luongo stopped the first three shots they faced in the shootout, Vancouver's Jordan Schroeder's shot trickled past Crawford, and Nick Leddy — a surprise pick for the fourth Hawks shooter — shot wide. Hawks coach Joel Quenneville picked the defenseman over skilled forwards such as Marian Hossa or rookie Brandon Saad — who had a particularly strong game.