There is a corner of the basketball world, populated largely by those self-identifying as fans of the Washington Wizards, who believe John Wall's time with Team USA was essentially over before it started. John Wall is one of them. The All-Star point guard's invitation from Team USA arrived late in the process. His exit came earlier than hoped. Wall was one of three players cut this past week from the men's national team in advance of the World Cup of Basketball later this month. He was left off the preliminary 28-man roster announced in January. The public announcement of Wall's official invitation came on July 24. Camp started in Las Vegas on July 28. The NBA leader in total assists this past season spoke with CSNwashington.com on Saturday at his charitable foundation's "Back2School" event for children in Washington. Asked if he was given a fair shot to make the final 12-player roster, Wall said, "Nah, I don’t think so, but it’s a part of the game. I’m just happy to have the opportunity to be there and represent my country. I wish them the best of luck and hope they can win gold." Wall, who had treatment on his knee last month, stated he was pleased with his performance during the week. "It was cool. It wasn’t bad at all," Wall said of his left knee. "I got through the whole week. I thought I played pretty well. Things didn’t go in my favor. But, we'll (get) past it."
Wall on Team USA cut: 'Guess I’m overlooked, again'
CSN Washington | Aug 10