Right-hander Ervin Santana showed up to Twins camp on Monday with a dark blue cast on his right hand and will wear it for two weeks before being reevaluated. Santana underwent surgery to remove a calcium deposit from his right middle finger on Feb. 6 and had a follow-up appointment in New York last week to have sutures removed from his finger and stabilized with a hard cast. The 35-year-old right-hander will head back to New York in two weeks to have the cast removed and get more of a feel for when he'll be able to start throwing again. Santana would've started for Minnesota on Opening Day for a third straight season, but he's now expected to miss the first two to four weeks of the season. But he said he's only focused on getting healthy right now. "I'm not thinking about that," Santana said. "I'm just thinking about my health right now. It would be different if I came to Spring Training and got hurt throwing a bullpen." Santana said the injury popped up late last season and he could feel it while pitching in the AL Wild Card Game against the Yankees. He felt it only on sliders and changeups, but wouldn't use it as an excuse for giving up four runs in two innings in Minnesota's loss at Yankee Stadium. "There was a little bit of pain there," Santana said. "But I didn't think about it. I was trying to win." After the season, Santana was told to rest his finger, but he went to three different hand doctors in late November, December and January before ultimately undergoing the surgery in New York at the recommendation of two of the doctors. The injury could have an affect on Santana's contract status, as his $14 million option for '19 automatically vests if he reaches 200 innings, but he's unlikely to reach that mark now, which would make it a club option.
Twins' Santana gives update on finger injury
MLB.com | Feb 19