Before he set foot on Mizzou’s campus in 2015, Terrence Phillips was greeted as the new leader of the men’s basketball program. His charismatic, engaging personality was seen as a refreshing addition to the team as coach Kim Anderson attempted to remake a roster that was constantly turning over with a flood of transfers coming and going during the Frank Haith regime. Less than three years later, Phillips is the latest departure from the roster. Last month, Phillips was suspended indefinitely when the school’s Title IX office launched an investigation of the junior guard after receiving complaints from at least four women, alleging physical abuse, stalking and nonconsensual recording of a sexual encounter. As of Tuesday, Phillips was no longer a member of the Missouri program, a team spokesman confirmed. Phillips was taken off Mizzou’s online roster Tuesday. The team had no further comment on Phillips’ situation before Tuesday’s game against Ole Miss. Phillips, a two-year starter who had moved to the bench this season, was suspended indefinitely from the team Jan. 26, shortly after one woman received a notice from Mizzou’s Title IX office that her complaint was under review. On Jan. 29, another woman agreed to let the Title IX office include her initial witness statement, plus text messages and photos from Phillips as part of the investigation, she later told the Post-Dispatch. Two other alleged witnesses have told the Post-Dispatch they filed complaints against Phillips with the Title IX office, which investigates issues of sex discrimination and sexual violence on campus. Phillips is still listed as enrolled at MU in the online student database. He did not respond to interview requests Tuesday. Privacy laws prevent MU from disclosing information about open investigations. In an interview last week, Mizzou athletics director Jim Sterk talked at length about the department’s push to “create a safe atmosphere” on campus.
Terrence Phillips no longer part of Mizzou basketball program
St. Louis Post-Dispatch | Feb 21