The University of Florida is under federal Title IX investigation for its handling of a December 2015 sexual assault accusation against star receiver Antonio Callaway, the complainant's attorney confirmed.

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights is looking into a complaint filed by Callaway's accuser, her attorney John Clune said Friday.

The complaint was filed Aug. 10, according to a letter to the university obtained by the Tampa Bay Times. That's five days after UF held a student-conduct hearing on the case and two days before Callaway was found not responsible by the university for any wrongdoing. Clune and his client boycotted the hearing because the outside lawyer chosen to preside over the case was a Gators booster and member of the school's Hall of Fame.

On Jan. 20, the Office for Civil Rights began investigating whether the university "failed to promptly and equitably respond to sexual violence complaints" related to this student or any other. The investigation became public soon after it began, but the connection to the Callaway case had not previously been reported.

The case stems from a sexual encounter at Callaway's residence in Gainesville in December 2015. The university received a complaint and began investigating a month later. Callaway was suspended by the school during the investigation and fully reinstated before the start of the 2016 football season in September.

Clune said his client's goal in filing the complaint is to help Florida correct some of its procedures for the sake of future students in similar situations. Clune and the woman have not ruled out the possibility of a Title IX lawsuit against the university. The Times typically does not name victims or possible victims of sexual assault.