Spurs fear Gareth Bale’s head has been turned by Real Madrid.

And that could spark a huge bidding war between the Spanish giants and Manchester United who are also desperate to land the £85million-rated winger.

Tottenham last night refused to confirm that Real have finally made a straight cash bid for the 24-year-old Welshman. The north Londoners have steadfastly maintained that Bale is not for sale and continue to do so.

But they are concerned that the four-time Player of the Year appears to have been unsettled by Real’s sustained campaign to land him.

Last season Spurs boss Andre Villas Boas maintained he had been told by the club’s board that Bale would not be leaving the club this summer.

It is a stance the former Chelsea manager has maintained ever since. Speaking after Tottenham’s Asia trophy defeat to Sunderland yesterday he said wearily: “I don’t want to be repeating myself [on this situation].”

“I can’t make any more comments because I made them at the press conference before this game.”

But there is anxiety at Spurs over the Bale situation even though the winger is far more low maintenance than Luka Modric who forced a move 12 months ago.

Spurs want Bale to commit to a new deal to strengthen their hand next year when they would reluctantly be prepared to let him go.

While the former Southampton star appeared set to do so shortly after the end of the season that deal still remains unsigned.

Appropriately enough Bale missed yesterday’s 3-1 defeat to Sunderland with a buttock injury.

Real mouthpiece the Spanish daily Marca described the injury as “mysterious” on their front page yesterday and hinted Bale had been omitted in readiness for a move.

But the winger is set to play in Saturday’s Asia Trophy game against South China out in Hong Kong as Tottenham continue with their preparations for the new season.