Titus Young was in good spirits Friday morning.

His father, Richard, said he took Titus out for coffee, and Titus was laughing and looked happy.

But later that day, when Young told his parents he was going to his car to grab his phone, the former Lions wide receiver drove off instead.

"We knew that something had happened to him or he was locked up again," Richard Young told The Detroit News on Monday. "His mind is not capable enough to go out and deal with society because of this situation."

Young's father was right. Titus Young was arrested late Friday night for the third time in less than a week. Orange County authorities allege Young broke into a home in San Clemente, Calif., tried to flee, but he was caught and charged with burglary, assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

San Clemente is more than 60 miles away from the Young's home in Los Angeles, where Titus had been living.

Richard Young said his son suffers from a disorder caused by his brain being compressed into the front of his skull, but he couldn't remember the disorder's name Monday. The father said his son's disposition changed after he suffered a concussion during his rookie season, although the Lions never listed that as an injury.

Although Titus Young has medication for the issue, his father said he hasn't been taking it as prescribed.

And, while Richard Young said his son has sought help for the issue, Titus Young hasn't been dedicated to his treatment, which doctors told the father could take six months or less.

"He's not dealing with it the way he should be," Richard Young said. "If the judge gives him a court order, then maybe he'll get the help he needs."

Based on Titus Young's behavior leading up to the arrest, that will be a possibility unless he ends up in prison.

Before the arrest, Young allegedly was "passed out" in his car in someone's driveway and seen peering into parked cars in San Clemente, Orange County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino said.

"The first call came in at 6 p.m.," Amormino said. "A resident called and said there was a black Mustang convertible in the driveway of their home. A person was inside the car, but the informant didn't know if they were sleeping, drunk or had a medical issue."

When a fire truck pulled up to the home, the man raced off and nearly hit the truck, Amormino said. Authorities determined the man was Young after running the license plates, but never found him.

Multiple witnesses called police again around 8 p.m. to report a man looking into parked cars, Amormino said. Even with assistance of a helicopter, police couldn't find Young, but found and towed his car.

Then, at 11:57 p.m., a resident called police and reported a man was in his home. When police arrived, the man — determined to be Young — allegedly was hiding in shrubs outside the home and tried to flee on foot.

"He was fast, but the deputy was faster," Amormino said.

Young tried to fight the officers, but they subdued him without suffering any injuries.

Young was arrested twice in less than 15 hours May 5 in Moreno Valley, Calif., first on suspicion of driving under the influence then for burglary after he allegedly tried to jump the fence at an impound lot to find his car.

"The felony charges are certainly mounting up," Amormino said. "Those are serious charges that could do some serious state prison time."