Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro's days of trusting everybody are behind him, he said upon his arrival to spring training Friday.

But how quickly he's able to say the same about a sexual-assault allegation that has lingered without resolution for almost five months was the biggest question facing any player in camp as the Cubs held their first full-squad workouts.

''In the beginning, it was tough, but I [put] this out of my mind and [focused on] preparation to play baseball,'' Castro said as he spoke publicly for the first time since reports of the police investigation surfaced nearly two months ago.

Last week, a source told the Sun-Times that the police had not finished interviewing potential witnesses in the case. A source this week said the police have not presented prosecutors with any evidence.

Cubs insiders and others close to Castro say they believe no charges will be filed and expected resolution by now. Castro's representatives have vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

''I cooperated with the police [by] talking about that,'' said Castro, who met with Chicago police for several hours last month when he returned from his home in the Dominican Republic to participate in the Cubs Convention. ''I don't have [anything more] to say about that. I'm ready to play baseball and practice very hard to help this team win this season.''

A major part of the Cubs' on-the-field plans this season, Castro also was a major part of the marketing plans before the allegations against the team's only bankable star were made public.