Sophomore Jameel Warney (Plainfield, N.J.) delivered 18 points and nine rebounds, senior Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) had 16 points and the Stony Brook men's basketball team survived a furious Vermont rally with stout defense at the end as the #Seawolves came away with a 67-64 victory over the Catamounts at a raucous, sold-out Pritchard Gymnasium Friday night.

Stony Brook, 14-6 overall and 6-0 in America East, has now won five straight games overall, 12 straight conference games and 21 straight home conference games. In their last 43 conference games, the #Seawolves are 38-5. Vermont's seven-game win streak is over, and the Catamounts fall to 11-9 overall, 5-1 in America East.

Head Coach Steve Pikiell's Reaction
"In a great environment with great fans, we were able to grind out a great win against a tough, skilled and experienced opponent in Vermont. We knew they would rebound from a tough first half, and we had to bear down and get good defensive stops at the end to hold on. I'm pleased with the effort our guys gave tonight, and we have no time to enjoy it because we have to prepare for Maine on Sunday."

Turning Point
Stony Brook dominated the first half after shooting 54.5 percent and out-rebounding Vermont, 23-10. The #Seawolves had a 50-33 lead with 16:31 left in the second half when they suddenly went cold, going scoreless for six minutes and 27 seconds. Vermont went on a 13-0 run to cut it to 56-42 with 10:04 to play.

The game was a see-saw battle from then on out. Vermont got within three, 67-64, after a Jackson jumper was sandwiched by a three-pointer from Vermont's Kurt Steidl and a jumper from Vermont's Hector Harold.

Stony Brook could not score from there on out, but defense carried the day. Steidl went up for a layup, and Warney came up with the block and the rebound. After another empty #Seawolves possession, Ethan O'Day went up with a layup and Warney then swatted the ball away from the side into the crowd.

Vermont missed three more tries, but the #Seawolves missed a pair of 1-and-1 opportunities at the free throw line to set up Catamounts ball with four seconds to go. Senior Dave Coley (Brooklyn, N.Y.) broke up the long in-bound pass, setting up another try with two seconds left. UVM's Brian Voelkel got the ball to O'Day about 28 feet from the basket, and his attempt at the game-tying shot hit the front rim at the buzzer, giving the #Seawolves the victory.