What for most of three quarters was an afternoon of slumber for the Seattle Seahawks ultimately turned into a day of history.

Seattle pulled off a shocking rally to beat the Houston Texans 23-20 in overtime and improve to 4-0 for the first time since the Seahawks entered the league in 1976.

Steven Hauschka won the game for Seattle with a 45-yard field goal with 3:19 left in the overtime as the Seahawks came back from a 20-3 halftime deficit.

Seattle got into field goal range after a third-down pass to Doug Baldwin coupled with a 15-yard personal foul on Houston’s Kareem Jackson.

That moved the ball to the Houston 36 and after three more plays Hauschka made the kick.

Seattle was dominated for most of the first three quarters but used three Houston turnovers to score 13 points including a game-tying 58-yard interception return by Richard Sherman.

Houston had a 443-226 edge in yards at the end of regulation indicative of how the Texans controlled the action for most of the game.

Houston was attempting to get a first down that might have sewed up the game as it faced a third-and-four with 2:51 left. But then Houston quarterback Schaub who has become known for throwing killer interceptions rolled left and then threw back across the field under pressure to tight end Owen Daniels.

But Sherman stepped in front of the pass at the 42 and then raced to the end zone for to tie the score.

Seattle appeared lifeless through most of the first three quarters its remade offensive line dominated and its defense surprisingly vulnerable.

Seattle’s comeback started in earnest when it drove 98 yards in 14 plays on a drive that began late in the third quarter and ended with a 3-yard Marshawn Lynch run with 7:28 left in the game that cut the Texans’ lead to 20-13.

The drive was jumpstarted when Russell Wilson hit Baldwin for a 24-yard gain on a third down play. The pass was initially ruled incomplete before coach Pete Carroll threw the challenge flag and the call was overturned on review.

Later in the drive a penalty and a sack forced a second-and-24 situation that appeared likely to doom Seattle’s hopes. But Seattle picked it up converting on fourth-and-three when Wilson — who decided to start running more in the second half and finished with 77 yards — scrambled for four yards to the Houston 3-yard-line. Lynch scored on the next play.

Seattle then forced a three-and-out and after a Golden Tate punt return of 16 yards took over at the Houston 47 with 6:05 left.

That drive ended quickly as on third-and-nine Wilson was forced out of the pocket and threw a desperation pass to Jermaine Kearse that was picked off by Johnathan Joseph at the 43 with 5:13 left.