A night after one of their most boring games the Sabres responded with the most exciting.

The result was finally different.

Buffalo picked up its first victory of the season Tuesday with a 4-3 shootout win over the New York Islanders. The Sabres and Islanders traded scoring rushes point-blank shots and big hits in Nassau Coliseum and the visiting team came out on top to improve to 1-6-1.

It was a wild finish. The Islanders took a 3-2 lead on the power play with 11:16 to play. It showed again if the Sabres didn’t have bad luck they wouldn’t have any.

New York captain John Tavares took a one-timer from the right circle. Teammate Matt Moulson was fighting Sabres defenseman Mike Weber for position at the top of the crease and the shot struck Moulson and bounced into the net.

Goaltender Ryan Miller could only shake his head as he watched the replay.

The Sabres finishing their third game in four nights refused to relent. Marcus Foligno’s fine night resulted in the tying goal with 2:01 to play. Tyler Myers kept the puck in the Islanders’ zone and Foligno turned and fired from the top of the faceoff circles to beat goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

The game went to a shootout. Thomas Vanek and Tyler Ennis scored for the Sabres and Ryan Miller made two saves to wrap up the victory.

The game once again started ominously for Buffalo. With 6:45 left in the first period the Sabres found themselves in a familiar position: down by a goal. New York’s Frans Nielsen opened the scoring something done by the Sabres’ opponents in seven of the eight games.

Nielsen streaked to the left circle pulled up in front of defenseman Mark Pysyk and ripped a high shot past Miller.

The goal was not the worst blow suffered by the Sabres during the first period. They lost Zemgus Girgensons who was a bloody mess after taking a puck off the face with 1:14 left.

Teammate Tyler Myers took a high slap shot that may have been tipped on its way to the net. The puck soared into the left side of Girgensons’ face as he jockeyed for position in front. Before he even hit the ice several Sabres and Islanders were already signaling for the athletic trainer.

Girgensons slowly removed his helmet as blood pooled in his face shield and on the ice. He made it to the dressing room under his own power while holding a towel to his face but did not return.

The Sabres playing their third game in four nights played with 11 forwards the rest of the game.

The teams took 27 shots in the first period including 16 by the Islanders and they turned it up even more in the second. They combined for three goals on 29 shots to enter the final period at 2-2..

The Sabres’ much-needed line of Ennis Drew Stafford and Marcus Foligno finally showed up in the opponents’ end and the score sheet to make it 1-1. Ennis finished off the trio’s stellar shift by recording his first goal and point of the season with 5:24 off the clock.