Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has signed a new four-year deal with the Premier League club.

The 20-year-old, who had been linked with a number of top clubs, has committed his future to Goodison Park until 2018.

Barkley was a fixture in Roberto Martinez's side last season, playing in 34 of their 38 league games and his performances earned him a call up to England's World Cup squad where he featured in all three group games.

Barkley, who has had loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds, has won nine England caps and was named on the shortlist for last season's PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Chairman Bill Kenwright said: “Everton and Ross have always been the perfect fit – Roberto has made it even more special.

"This was an important agreement and I have to say was conducted in a way that showed clearly the devotion to Everton Football Club of everyone involved.”

Barkley, who has been at Everton for nine years, said: "Signing a new contract is a dream. I've played for Everton most of my life and this is a big thing for me.

"It didn't take any persuading. As soon as I got told about it I wanted to sign.

"I don't go looking for new contracts, I go on the pitch hoping to play well and earn that contract and I seem to have done that throughout last season.