Somewhere between a high-scoring loss earlier this week and the splintered bat left in manager Walt Weiss' furious wake Thursday, the Rockies found a spark. They came to the Bay Area having scored 28 runs in their past three games.

It took some fanning — Colorado kept mostly quiet through eight innings against its National League West nemesis — but the Rockies exploded in the ninth inning Friday night for one of their most stunning wins of the season, a 7-4 comeback over the Giants at AT&T Park.

Trailing 4-2 with only three outs remaining, the Rockies strung together five runs in the ninth. Ryan Wheeler's pinch-hit single up the middle scored Charlie Culberson and Justin Morneau to tie the game. Then DJ LeMahieu's line drive to center field scored Corey Dickerson to give them the lead.

Michael McKenry's single scored Wheeler and McKenry's rundown between first and second let LeMahieu score to cap the deciding inning.

"Just kept competing, that's really all it was," Weiss said. "We put together some really good at-bats against a very good closer. And found a way to win a game. That's what it came down to."

The Rockies have impressive walk-off wins in Denver on their resume the season. But since 2009, the Rockies were 14-35 at AT&T Park. It's a killer location, sucking wins away from the Rockies on seemingly unlikely turns.

But Colorado turned the unlikely victory Friday — their biggest of the season. LaTroy Hawkins went three-up, three-down in the ninth for his 12th save of the season.

"It's a tough place to play. Not only for us, but everybody. The Giants are always tough at home," Weiss said. "To win a game like that, not only winning the first game of the series, but how we won it, it's big for our club."

Even then, the rash of Rockies injuries reared again Friday night.

Troy Tulowitzki, who sparked a rallying ninth inning with a single, left the game with a sprained toe in his right foot. X-rays were negative for breaks or fractures in the second metatarsal bone, the team said.